My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Friday, May 30, 2014

Family Photo Gallery Wall



Hello friends...

Were you waiting with "baited breath" for today's post? Thought so...lol. I wanted to show you my Pinterest inspired gallery wall. While browsing through that infamous site, I would often come across these fabulous wall displays boasting family photos, monograms and eclectic décor. I wanted one. It took me several months to perfect mine, and I still tweek it every so often, but I got it.

This first picture is one I took in November, I think. ( I keep many, many pics in my phone; too many, actually, but this time I'm glad I had them. They were there just waiting to be blogged.) I had found this little handmade primitive-style ladder in a shop in town for very little money. I knew right away what I wanted to do with it. I had all of these black frames laying around so I went to Walgreens and copied some pictures of my family for them. I also bought the one in the far left from Wally World for less than $5.  

The rusty star I had for some time, I picked up the little white bird a some craft store for just a couple of bucks, I got the little "S" and the "Family" from Hobby Lobby, on sale, and also the papier mache "S" from there, too. I'll show you what I did with that below.


 


Here is the wall finished, so far.  There are two very old photos of my mother's family on the top of the ladder, either side. Noah and I on out anniversary this past October, a hand stitched artwork of leaves and acorns I did several years ago ( I really need to change that, it is summer, after all), the papier mache initial all decorated (again, I'll show you what I did down below), and some fabulous paper bag flowers that I saw on, you guessed it...Pinterest. Just click the link and you can learn how to make them, as well. The flower decoration on the "F" of the "Family" sign is a splurge purchased at Cracker Barrel this past Christmas time. I bought two at $5 each. They are actually hair clips/sweater pins. I wish I got a close-up for you. I LOVE these.

The rest of the photos are important pictures of my mother, son and my siblings and of Noah and I; we have never taken photos together much before these past few years. I never liked to be in pictures. Ladies, you get that, right?





So, now for this decorated papier mache monogram. I searched and searched Pinterest for something like this, but never found quite what I was wanting. So I sort of put several ideas together and came up with this. I painted it with grey craft paint and distressed it a little, then I dry brushed a bit of white all over it for just a touch of Shabby Chic. I have decided to actually repaint the house in cool grey tones soon, but this will have to do for now. Anyway, I wanted something with that new trendy chevron on it, but didn't want to go overboard. I just painted it on free hand. Then I hot glued the twine to the back and covered the ends of the twine with felt, that I also hot glued on. Next, I wanted to decorate it with those nifty burlap flowers I kept seeing. These were actually the first flowers I ever made, ever learned to make. I watched some tutorials:  



...and attempted my own. I put my own little twist on them, adding leaves of different dimensions, but the burlap rose was a little difficult; the folding was a bit hard to follow. Actually, this technique still is for me. Everyone seems to use it for all kinds of fabric flowers, but, for some reason, I just can't get the hang of it. Oh well...practice makes perfect, I guess.


Well, there you have it. This is what has satisfied me so far with this gallery wall. I'm pretty positive that I will be adding and changing this up in the future. I'm also pretty sure I'll be sharing that with you, too, so please stay tuned!




Do you have a gallery wall in your house? Where did you get your inspiration? I have a blank corner above our television that I'd like to decorate. I've been searching what to do with that, next. Any suggestions?

That just gave me an idea for a new post!

Have a great weekend, and as always, thanks so much for stopping by. Feel free to share! I truly appreciate you!

Nanette


* All opinions are my own. I receive no endorsements from any sponsors mentioned in the above post: Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart or Walgreens.






No comments:

Post a Comment