My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Monday, May 26, 2014

My Compost Pile Tulips

Here's another "quickie".

Do you remember my post about our compost bin? You can read all about it here. Well, the 'dirt' must be fabulous because these beauties were growing right out of the leaves back there. Last year, my hubby, God love him, dumped a container/pot of what he thought was old potting soil back there in the fall after the flowers were gone. He didn't realize that there was a biodegradable/compostable peat pot with all the bulbs still in it buried in that soil.

I guess I didn't, either, because I never questioned where they were ;) Anyhoo, this spring he tells me that there are red tulips growing out of the compost pile. I run back there and, lo and behold, there ARE red tulips growing out of the compost pile. MY red tulips. From last year. There also happened to be yellow daffodils and purple hyacinth growing UPSIDE DOWN in that pile. See...they were sold all together in the plantable peat pot last year. Even with no sun, those flowers grew. Upside down, into the dirt.

I wish I had gotten a few pics of THAT...it was weird. They were a little deformed, to say the least. I tried to salvage the bulbs, but there was all kinds of crazy going on in there.

My point is, though: compost. That is some RICH dirt!


Look at these beauties!



Something to note about tulips, if you didn't already know...no feeding. That is, no flower food necessary.  They are a "low water level flower". Clean fresh water just about an inch or so high is all you need. Cut your stems to the desired length (at an angle and under running water) according to the vessel you are using (tulips need a little support, but are most beautiful with a slight bow, I think) and enjoy them...they don't last long!



Thanks so much for stopping by, 


Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment