My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dining table decor

The Fall Festival wasn't the ONLY thing we did Saturday. We stopped off at Michael's and Hobby Lobby, too, where I got some pretty good deals, if I say so myself. I don't usually buy things for the house, that don't require installation right now (we're trying to remodel and repair a few things), but I had some 50% and 40% coupons burning a hole in my pockets (well...apps) and they were all going to expire Saturday and Monday, so I used 'em up!

This is what we bought....


This huge hurricane vessel with the tin pan was $30, the candle holders were $5.99, and the candle was $12.99...all for 50% off--EACH! So, I got the vessel for $15, the candle for $6.50 and each candle holder for $3! I had to make separate transactions, but I didn't care. It wasn't too busy and I never do that, so I didn't feel too much like the "Krazy Coupon Lady."

  Then we went to Hobby Lobby where all of their knobs and pulls were 50% off. I have my moms jewelry armiore that she'd had for about 17 years. I want to repaint it cream and it needs new pulls. I wanted black and I found these that were small enough to use. They were all $1.50 a piece. Then, Noah and I saw the large knobs and decided we had to have them. If we find a large piece of furniture that we want to refinish and use for a side bar or buffet in the kitchen, these would go great on that. At 50% off, they were a steal, as well. The bird hook was only $3 and it has a little bit of a blue patina to it. I loved it. I'll figure out what to do with that after the holidays.


                                              
Sunday we took a quick run to Wally World to pick up some fall-time provisions. I needed some more burlap (I have a stock pile of it...I LOVE burlap!) and while we were waiting for the lady to cut the fabric, Noah found this fabric while browsing through the Halloween fabric. He was attracted to the skulls and spiderwebs, people, but he KNOWS what I like! I got a yard of that, too.


I'm going to make a pillow cover, but I like it so much, I think I'll keep an eye on it and pick up some more before it's gone.





Anyway...this is what I ended up doing with the table scape at first...






 The burlap I bought had this great fringe already done at the ends. It's a fluke, but a pleasant surprise.


I cut a piece of it to fit the area I wanted a runner for and did a small zigzag stitch along each raw edge to waylay the fraying. This burlap frays immediately. It's messy, too. I popped it in the dryer for a couple of minutes to air fluff the little loose strands off then ironed it, then I sewed my stitch. I love it.


 I didn't quite love the look I was getting with the first arrangement, so I removed the leaves and brighter sunflowers. This is what I was left with. Much better, I think! This is more my style...


 I like the simple subtle colors with the glow of the candles.

 Less is more, and less color helps everything stand out without getting "lost".



I stayed with the burlap theme, and tied hemp twine around the smaller pillars to match the larger candle I bought from Michael's that came with a wax twine tie.


 I'm kinda likin' this new style...What do ya think?


The next post is going to be all about the outside...Our porch gets an Autumn update...

No comments:

Post a Comment