My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Monday, December 17, 2012

Advent Calendar project

 I have one more project to share with you. I know, I know...this should have been one of the first projects at the beginning of the month, but I have had this done since last year, so I've only got my 'after' pictures to show you. But you can work on it for next year, right? Or get one done this week or weekend for a gift for someone for next year, even.
This Advent calendar did not replace the one I made with my son when he was 7 years old in Cub Scouts, it just added to it. In fact, we still hang the first one, and use it still to this day. But what I did to make this one was quite easy. First, I found this frame at Archivers. It was about $14, but I used my 30% off coupon. Any frame will do, but I wanted a 12x12 frame because I just wanted to use a piece of scrapbook paper in it as my back ground. I found this piece as a single sheet, and I also bought the Christmas themed brads on clearance the year before. So, I really only purchased the frame and one piece of paper.


I had a sheet of Christmas countdown number and letter stickers, a sheet of Christmas punch outs, and scrapbook paper from several years ago. I also had some bottle caps, a bunch of tags I got on clearance, and I used some small rusty wire from my stash. I just placed everything around on the paper until I felt I liked what I had, then I attached it down with tacky glue, 3D glue squares, and brads. I punched a snowflake out of paper, glued it into the cap, and placed a clear bubble sticker over it.



For my tag hanger, I had to think a while on how to master this. I punched a scallop circle and glued it to the paper. placed my Merry Christmas stickers on, and then had to come up with the hanger part. I wrapped some rusty wire around the back of the Santa brad and twisted it. Pushed the brad through the paper (with glue dots on the back of the brad). I then fashioned a hook out of more wire around the loop, made a hook, and curled the raw end with a jewelry pliers. Done! Now on to the fun part...the tags!



I inked up 25 tags, distressing the corners and edges. I used glitter, brads and stickers to decorate each one for each day in December...




For the rest of the background, I added red tinsel and white opaque embossing powder to enhance the image. I added glitter to Santa's beard and hair and that's it! It was quick and pretty easy. It's also one of my favorite things...

What do you use as your countdown to Christmas? I've seen some pretty amazing ideas on Pinterest, but I bet you already know that...

I hope you have a great Holiday with your families. Hold them close. Cherish one another. Know that the greatest gift of all is having each other.

In Peace,

Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment