My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Sunday, December 16, 2012

How to soften LED candles and some Cristmas centerpiece ideas


Hey, everyone. Hope you are all well. Just a few more ideas I'd like to share in time for the Big Day. I know it's getting super close, but it's never too late to sneak in a few more quick ideas to make your home a bit more merry...even if we're just a week away.
Noah and I wanted some candles in our windows this year. I have some from my mom, the colonial kind with the silicone bulbs. They are perfect, but they all plug in. I don't know about you, but our house was built in 1896. Outlets were not well thought out when remodeling was done, so the lamps I wanted to use...well, four extension cords strung across the house was not an option for me. SO...we looked at a few of the usual places, but found just what we were looking for (almost, we got battery operated ones, but would have preferred solar) at Walgreen's. We got a 4 pack (the perfect count) for just $10. We did have to buy batteries, but the lights are on a timer setting. They come on and off on their own. The only thing we don't really care for is the light that LED gives off. These 'candles' were particularly odd colored, and there was one that didn't match the other three. So, if your like me, and like the environmental factor of LED, but think that they just aren't warm enough, I'm going to show you what I did to soften them up a bit.


Here is the candle as is. They are nice and heavy, seem to be decently made, for being so inexpensive, and the 'flame' is cute.



I took two colors of craft paint: Antique Gold and Burnt Umber. I did four candle flames, and barely used any paint at all. Just mix together what ratio you like for your 'fire'. I used mostly gold, with a hint of umber. Mix well, and use a sponge brush to apply.



I just pounced it on. That left no brush marks, and left a nice uniform finish. Whatever paint got on the white candle part, I simply wiped off with my fingernail. These also dried pretty immediately, but wait until they are completely dry before you twist the bulbs (that's how mine turn on, not at the base). You can paint them with the light on, but, as with mine, as soon as you turn it on, that's when the timer starts...



See the difference? The one on the left is so cool and white. Not quite like a flame at all, but with the paint, it's all warm and cozy looking. It really does give off a nice warm glow...



Next, I used the sewing machine drawer box project as my centerpiece on my dining table. I added a couple jar lights, as well.



I used two of my Hobnail jars I bought from Save-On-Crafts, poured a little Epsom salt in the bottom of each, took some clippings from our tree and placed them around the inside of the jar on top of the 'snow', and topped it off with a grungy flameless tea light. Then I took some of my twine and wrapped it around the mouth of the jar several times, tied it off in a knot, took a rusty safety pin and attached a rusty jingle bell. Simple, festive, and warm.




Here, I wanted to do something like I did on my Thanksgiving table and while unpacking the Holly dishes, I found my set of vintage Santa cookie cutters. I picked these up at the same craft booth that I bought my sewing machine drawer and Ammunition box. Their booth is my favorite...always filled with so many vintage finds, I could spend my whole trip just in that one booth! Anyway, I decided to use a lighter napkin, some red ribbon I had on hand, and thread it through the cutters. Simple! It's sort of reminiscent of Santa's belt buckle, too, don't you think? Isn't it funny how things work out, sometimes?




Here's a back view of our table...
(see the brown chair with the button back just to the right of the table in the picture? That's our next project...we are re-doing those two fabulous chairs! I. Can't. Wait!)



Here's the table with the glittery centerpiece display...



But I think I like it better on the kitchen table with this little bouquet of fresh flowers my dad bought me. He gets me flowers from the grocery store every time we go. He did for my mom, and now he does for me. It warms my heart, and my home. I think there should always be a vase of fresh flowers in your home, no matter the season. Get yourself a bouquet from the grocery store. It's inexpensive and makes you feel good every time you pass by them.


Do you have all of your wrapping done? Have you mailed out your cards? Baking anything good this week? I better get on it, I don't think I'm done with any of the above...

Well, thanks for reading today, I know we're all so busy, but remember to take the time to breathe and enjoy all that the season has to offer.

Stay warm,

Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment