My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Thursday, December 13, 2012

Outdoor Holiday Porch and Yard Decor

Well! I finally got a new post up. Sorry it took so long. I've been battling a terrible cold since Thanksgiving, and things got a little overwhelming. Even though I took this week off, it went as it usually does...I've been so busy I hardly know what day it is. My outdoor decor has been up since December 2nd, but I just have not had the time to post. But I've gotten plenty accomplished since then. I finished up quite a bit today. I have a few more posts about all of that. Boy...am I exhausted!

Anyway, here is what we have on our outside.
Have you seen these baskets of fresh greenery at Lowe's? I loved what they had, but they wanted about $25 for one. When we picked out our tree, I asked the woman prepping the trees if they had any branches they were going to throw out. She pointed me in the direction of a big bin full of discarded branches that they weren't going to use for their own wreath and garland making to sell. I was hesitant at first to ask this, because I knew they used their trimmed branches for this purpose, but it never hurts to ask. And in this case, I won out...big time. I was able to take whatever I wanted. Well, I did, and I was able to make my own hanging basket of greenery. It was all very low cost. This is what I did:
I went to an "Everything's $1" type store and bought two rolls of ribbon, a big pack of gold plastic ornaments and a gold glittered star. At Wal-Mart, I purchased one very inexpensive pick of red berries. The rest, I had on hand. Total cost: about $5.
I used a hanging basket I already had, with the dirt still in it, and just stuffed it full of real greenery, berries, and pine cones, rusty stars, ornaments and topped it all off by making two bows that I tied onto my shepherds hook. I made a bow out of some red glittery ribbon I had and tied that to the basket hanger. I wrappped and glued some burlap around the basket and...Done! Pretty cute for not spending $25, huh?





Another thing I did with all that greenery was to stuff my balcony basket to match the hanging one in the yard. I just used all the same materials. I took the little left-over bits of matching ribbon and tied it to the basket to tie it in a bit. Another close to free project.



              Here is the little table on my porch that I decorated for Autumn, I just changed everything out for Christmas-time. I used more of the red ribbon, greenery, berries, stars and I added the $1 glittered star. I also tucked some greenery into the lantern around the flameless candle to add some more winter whimsy.




I did buy this little tree from Hobby Lobby. It was 50% off making it just about $6. I really wanted something bigger for my porch, but this was pretty cute. I just put it up on this table with a cardinal figure. I think it worked out pretty well. Next year I'd like to fill a large urn with greenery and lights, or even a live tree for the corner of my porch.



                                Here's our humble abode at sundown. Just a "few" angles....




                                                       All lit up for the Holidays!






I wanted this to be a cozy little area so I threw a blanket on the back of the rocker, and I whipped up these pillow covers from some fabric I had on hand. I just used the same outdoor pillows I always do. I made the closures Velcro for easy off when the season is over.




I love these lanterns! This one was a great find in the garden section at Wal-Mart this summer. It was only $11 and has a timer setting. Very convenient since it's getting colder in our neck of the woods.




I am very pleased with how everything turned out. I'm just glad I finally got the inside done to match the outside. It only took me two weeks!! (lol)
So...have you finished with your decorating? How about your cards and shopping?
Yeah...me neither :P


Just remember, try to keep calm and enjoy yourself this season. Take little moments for yourself to relax. Have some cocoa and watch a Christmas movie. Read an inspirational holiday story with some eggnog. Enjoy your family and the beautiful things you only get to enjoy once a year.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment