My most valued possession is my family. Even if you are living in a box
somewhere, and you have the love and support of your family, you will always be
wealthy. Love really is all you need. From love, great things will emerge. From
your thoughts, you can create greatness.This is what I need to remind
myself of everyday to be the best person that I can be. Live your life with
gratitude. Be thankful for all that you have everyday, even if it is your eyes
to see or your ears to hear or your feet to walk or your hands to create.
Understand your place in this Universe; how infinitesimally small you are, but
how huge a contribution your Spirit is. Don't wear blinders to the world around
you, you're not the only one here. Be kind, considerate, don't be judgmental,
love others, and yourself. Know that you are perfect inside; that you are
love.


Saturday, December 15, 2012

Some festive glittered Holiday projects


In this post I'm going to show you some of the projects I've finished up for the house, but first, I promised a link to the post I wrote about my thoughts on Connecticut from my other blog
 You can click the link above and be taken directly to that post, if you are interested. I sincerely appreciate you reading.


Now, in this post I am going to show you an easy way to glitter Styrofoam into 'snowballs'.
First, I gathered my materials. I used Elmer's gel glue, Styrofoam balls from any craft store, a sponge brush, and I tested out three different kinds of "glitter" medium.



                         First, I watered down my glue until it was the consistency of warm syrup.




Here are some examples of the glitters that I tried. I've labeled them, and below are close-ups of what they look like.



This is the Buffalo Snow Flakes I picked up for just a couple of bucks at Wal-mart last year. They are just little 'flakes' of iridescent plastic.



This is a mixture I made up of a clear crystal 'snow' glitter and replica gold German Glass Glitter. I got the clear glitter called Twinklets Diamond Dust by FloraCraft in a 14oz jar from a craft store, it is also available at Michael's. It was about $8, but will last a really, really long time. The Gold Glass glitter was from Archiver's. It's made by Stampendous and is called gold (or silver) crushed glass glitter and it was about $6.50 for a 1.59oz jar, but a little goes a long way, and it's the only place I found it, unless you count ordering it online.



The third type is a specialty Christmas snow. I picked it up at a craft show. I had been looking for it for  along time, and there it was. It's the kind crafter's use on their projects such as dolls and prims to give it that glittery snowy effect, without it being 'crunchy'. It was about $6, but it filled the whole jar in the picture above (the large one with the locking lid.)


So, here's what I did:
I sponge painted the ball with my glue mixture...



I decided to go with the Buffalo Flakes, they were the cheapest, and I needed the most for this project. I poured a bit into a zip closure bag, dropped the glued ball in, zipped it closed, and shook it up, pressing the flakes around on the glue. I reached in, took it out, and set it on an egg carton to dry.




The next project I did was to glitter some white pillar candles. The candles I got 50% at Hobby Lobby. There are always great sales there, and tons of items for your home and projects. (I'm not endorsing, I'm just saying...give it a try, and you can save a ton of money:)


So, I gathered what I wanted to use. I thought I'd use some Epsom salt, like I saw on Pinterest. I did try it, and it can be done, but it didn't give me the look I was wanting. So, what I did was to mix my three glitter mediums right onto the newspaper. I applied the glue in sections, and just rolled it in the glitter. I worked quick and in sections, because the glue will 'separate' on the wax. It seems like it would be messy, especially re-applying the glue right next to the glitter, but I gotta say, it wasn't. I just held the candle at a 45* angle by the wick and turned it as needed, glued, rolled in glitter, and repeat. That's it! I tapped the bottom and sides after each roll in the glitter to knock off the excess.
Easy-peasy!


Pretty, right? And you know what else? I really hardly had any mess on the paper, and none on my table. Maybe that's years of experience, or maybe this really is a super easy project to quickly add some Holiday glitz to your home!



                                    I tried it as a centerpiece on my dining room table...



                                                         And on my kitchen table...



You'll see what I decided to do in my next post. It'll be up real soon. I hope these projects are helping you to find some inspiration in your own home. It's approaching so quickly, we are almost out of time...Almost...
Ooh!! I've got to go get my cards done!!
See ya later...and thanks for reading!

Nanette

No comments:

Post a Comment